Pages

11.16.2009

Reality Bites...

My life is pretty great, most of the time. In the last 48 hours, I've been to the Gene Siskel Film Center twice: once to see my beloved Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas and once to see Labyrinth for the first time. I am lucky to live in a city that offers such opportunities, and for the free time and the disposable income to take advantage of them. However, all the interesting, blog-worthy activities that I engage in often keep me from attending to the boring household chores that need to get done. Tasks pile up until I can't stand it anymore, and much as I might not want to, I have to take the time to clean and organize my apartment, which is precisely what I did this weekend (Emmet Otter aside).

This may not be the best song in Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas, but it's certainly the one that gets the most stuck in my head.

I was particularly motivated this weekend, because this week we have an appointment with an appraiser who is going to evaluate the condo in conjunction with a mortgage refinancing that my parents are undertaking. Things are going to have to look their best in order to showcase the apartment in its best light. Hence, I spent time vacuuming, doing dishes and laundry, and generally tidying up. The larger undertaking, however, was tackling some of the projects that I'd been meaning to get around to for a long time.

I finally felt the impulse to take action on them, so I figured I should capitalize on my sense of motivation before I lost it again. As a result, I dismantled the refrigerator, got rid of all the questionable contents, washed and sanitized the drawers and shelves, and replaced them. I also went through the contents of both of the closets that hold my clothes, removed anything that was damaged or had gone unworn in the past year, and reorganized the remainder by clothing type (i.e. all the sweaters together, all the blouses together, all the trousers together, etc.), and packaged the rejects to donate to charity. It was tedious and unpleasant work, but I feel a tremendous sense of relief in not having these tasks hanging over my head anymore. It certainly wasn't my most entertaining weekend in recent memory, but sometimes a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

No comments:

Post a Comment