Pages

1.07.2011

That's What Friends Are For...

They say that friends are the family you choose. Even though I don't have any biological sisters, I've managed to curate an extraordinary family of female friends throughout the years, and each has enriched my life in different but equally tangible ways. Today, I was searching for famous quotes to inspire one of my closest girlfriends, who is going through a hard time in her personal life, and I came across a line from Albert Camus that really struck me:
Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow;
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead;
Walk beside me, and just be my friend.
I think those are good words to live by. We can't shield our loved ones from pain, we have to let them make their own decisions, and stand by them, whatever the fallout may be. That is how we foster growth and learning in one another, and build the support systems that are so critical in life. I am truly thankful for the sisters I've brought into my non-biological family, who walk beside me on the journey I'm navigating through life. I can only hope they feel I've enriched their lives as much as they have mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment