Pages

12.02.2012

You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch...

As I have made abundantly clear over the years, I really love Christmas. I love the decorations, the seasonal foods, spending time with friends and family, the presents, and unlike anyone who has ever worked in retail, I even love the music. For me, it truly is the most wonderful time of the year.

However, a certain somebody in my life doesn't feel the same way, and now that we are sharing a home, our differing perspectives on how best to celebrate the holiday season are bringing us into conflict. For instance, I wanted to start decorating before we left for Ireland, not only so that our home would be beautiful longer, but because I knew we'd be hosting a holiday party not long after we returned and I wanted there to be one less thing to stress out about. Justin, however, being opposed to the phenomenon of "Christmas creep," vetoed my plan to decorate before Thanksgiving.

Whenever we pass the holiday music station while searching for something to listen to on the radio, Justin's reaction is something akin to hearing nails on a chalkboard. You'd think I was torturing the poor guy.

Normally when he exhibits this kind of behavior, I tell him to stop being such a grumpus, but in honor of Christmas, I've developed a new moniker for him --  Grinchus. It stemmed from a conversation in which in the same breath I told him to stop being such a grumpus, and that he was acting like Mr. Grinch from Dr. Suess's How The Grinch Stole Christmas -- he was becoming a Grinchus!

I'm not going to let Justin's Grinchus-y ways put a damper on my celebratory mood; in fact, giving him a cute new nickname some how makes his anti-Christmas attitude more endearing. Nonetheless, I can only hope that some of my Christmas cheer will rub off on him as the holidays approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment