Pages

8.20.2009

Time Keeps on Slippin' Into The Future...

Where does the time go? It seems as if time is, as W. Somerset Maugham proclaimed it, an "everlasting present," but simultaneously, time seems to fly by at a truly alarming rate. At the farmers' market this week, bins of apples were already making their appearance. It's only a matter of time before apples are the only thing left in season besides hard squash. 

Later, in an internet search for fall activities, I discovered that this season's corn mazes are already open for business. Where did the summer go? Not that I'm going to miss the humidity and the heat, but I am nevertheless concerned about the fleeting presence of three months of my life. I've been plenty busy, as my previous posts will attest, but it feels like the time has evaporated before my eyes.

In less than a week I'm going to have my one year anniversary at my job. In many ways, it feels like I just started; for instance, many of my coworkers still have no clue what my name is, or what I do. Nevertheless, much has happened in the past twelve months at the office: I moved offices, I recruited an intern who has since come and gone, and I had my first performance evaluation. Despite everything I've accomplished, I still can't shake that feeling of newness.

Then tonight, I finally met up with my friend Caitlin for dinner. In the course of conversation, we discovered that we had not seen each other since mid-May. We had both been busy, and somehow, three months went by unnoticed. It just goes to show how easy it is to lose touch with your friends, even with the best of intentions. If you value your friendships, you must make their maintenance a major priority. Otherwise, time will pass, and major life events will unfold before you even know what has happened.  It is most certainly trite to say, but that's how life is -- blink and you'll miss it. So what are you waiting for? Go call that friend you haven't talked to in ages; you'll both be glad you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment