Pages

4.14.2010

Date Night...

Lately, maintaining this blog has turned into somewhat of a chore. As you may or may not have noticed, I've been falling behind on my posts, and not updating as often as I'd like. This is not because of lack of motivation or interesting content about which to write, but rather because my home internet connection was barely functional. For the past couple weeks, I've only been able to get internet access for about five to ten minutes after rebooting the wireless router. Composing a post turned into drafting a few sentences here and a paragraph there over the course of several days. It's been frustrating to say the least. So forgive me, loyal readers, I have not been neglecting you on purpose. Thankfully, however, I am cautiously optimistic that I may have finally remedied the situation, so here's here's hoping that I'll be able to return to writing on a regular basis...

On Sunday, for the one month anniversary of our first date, Zac and I went to see the aptly titled, Date Night. Although comedies of that extraction are not my typical cinematic fare, I'd long admired the comedic stylings of Tina Fey on Saturday Night Live and her work in Mean Girls, while Zac enjoys the work of Steve Carrell. For us, it was a serendipitous choice in casting, so we decided to check it out.

Let me just start off by saying that while I don't dislike comedies, I don't exactly seek them out either. They are more the type of film that I catch while flipping between channels on television. If I'm going to fork over $10 to see a movie in a theater, I want to be emotionally moved. I'm not interested in escapist fare; I would rather have the catharsis of a good cry or the mental stimulation of a challenging subject or message. That being said, I still enjoyed Date Night.

Fey and Carrell played off each other perfectly, and their humor was consistently on point. As a couple, they were believable, and often heartwarmingly adorable in their awkwardness. There was a realness about their on-screen relationship that was truly admirable. The action component of the film (which rescues the film from standard rom-com territory, and provides enough interest to keep your male companion from groaning about being dragged to a chick flick) was well-paced albeit slightly over-the-top at times. Plus, Mark Wahlberg puts in a significant shirtless appearance that isn't bad to look at either, even if his days as a Calvin Klein underwear model are obviously long behind him.

All in all, Date Night might just be the perfect date movie. Action for him, romance for her, and comedy for both. If you are looking for something to do on your own date night this weekend, I have no qualms about recommending this film as a possible diversion for you and your significant other.

No comments:

Post a Comment